Saturday 1 November 2008

Some excuses and an announcement!

Oh gosh, ummm, yet another very delayed post. I have all manner of excuses, and here they are:
1. I have had a visitor! Marie is a very dear old friend and the sister of Rebecca. We were all at school together, once upon a time. Marie and I have spent days (or weeks? I'm not sure) talking non-stop, late into the night...actually I am hoarse. And tired, in a good way. She left yesterday and I am missing her dreadfully. I can already feel a wave of homesickness coming and the sudden silence is weird. I have some wonderful ex-pat friends, but there is something also wonderful about a friend who knows your history and laughs at your bizarre, dry, untranslatably English jokes.

2. Our electricity got cut off. No red bills or stern phone calls here, just a man with some wire cutters who came - while I was out - and disconnected us, padlocked the mains box and slapped on a note saying "remove this padlock and you will face prison". Or something. We are reconnected now (there was wrangling over the bill, it's a long story); in contrast to the clean efficiency of Mr Wire Cutter, Mr Wire Connector took his sweet, sweet time.

3. I get a bit rattled when anyone says they like what I write. I don't know why this is. It is a bit like stage fright. Ms Mac (hello!) gave me a lovely plug the other day, and while it makes me blush with pride, I also get into a bit of a tizz about how 'the next thing I write will be terrible' and so I don't. Marie gave me some excellent advice on this, that blogging is a bit like practising scales, just do it, it is good for you and it doesn't always have to be perfect. So I will try and blog more.

4. The announcement. Remember the business idea? I have been tinkering away and guess what, we now have website! In case you don't feel like clicking on loads of links, the synopsis is this: I am paying Ugandan ladies to make beautiful clothes for kids which I then sell to you, dear reader. All the profits go to the tailors. You get a lovely item with a handwritten note, and they get a much needed boost to their income. It's like giving to charity with bells on. I must add here that there is NO WAY this idea would have seen the light of day without the help of my friends Clare Benians, Lexi Smith and Simon the tech genius. They get all the credit: THANK YOU.

We are also selling these star wall-hangings (there must be a nippier description than that!)
in Christmas colours. They are really beautiful and selling like hot cakes over here. £5 to you, plus £1 p&p.

7 comments:

rosholland said...

Just ordered a dress for G from Sweetshop- and v excited we are too...!

Hope all ok with you all- all fine here in Oldham- no. 2 due in April. Eek.

Bye for now,

Mrs B

Laura said...

I'm so impressed by the website and the business. Its such a good idea and I can't believe how far its come so quickly!

littlewarthog said...

Congratulations!!!!! Website looks fabulous. Well done you~!

Rebecca said...

Congrats on your new website, it looks fabulous. Not sure about deliveries to Moz - interesting-looking parcels tend to get sidetracked - but maybe I can place an order via the UK. And thanks for looking after my little sis through a difficult time...

Le laquet said...

I love the stars and seeing as I am "kiddywink-less" they're for me! Are they going on the website soon?

Jack'sMom said...

How about 'star chains'? please could you re-post your website/mail-order page? thanks. S

Bruce Anderson said...

How do I order the stars??