Sunday 24 February 2008

Down to business.

Everyone, this is Eva. Eva has three children, Trevor (8), Trisha (5) and Terry (1 and a half.) Eva works in 'our' house, and has done for 6 years. She's seen us Medair types come and go. She cooks, cleans, looks after my kids, and has become totally indispensable within a matter of weeks.

She's also a very talented seamstress and can make anything you ask her. But this is the scandalous part - she's stuck being a cleaner because in Uganda, any old job is worth holding on to because even rubbish jobs are for the lucky few. Eva is the only breadwinner in her family (and here supporting the extended family is the norm), she travels an hour and a half to work (one way), leaving well before the sun comes up.

So here's my idea. I want Eva to make pretty little girls' dresses that I can sell to people back home. I am thinking of smart, sweet, playful designs, but not ethnic. Think Boden catalogue, not safari scenes. As they get made, I will post photos of them, either here, or I'll give Eva her own flickr site. If you like what you see, give me an email with your darling's measurements and we'll take it from there.

The big vision is this: a team of tailors, processing regular orders from the UK and beyond, not just dresses either. Apprenticeship posts for the Jordan House kids, some of whom are reaching school leaving age and need a trade. All managed by Ugandans, leaving me to do the UK sales and marketing side of things from home when we go back. The profits will go straight to the tailors, with some left over to grow the business. All the cash risk will be ours, and we don't expect (personally) to make any money from it.

What's in it for you? Well, a pretty frock for starters, and a warm glow that your money is making a huge difference to someone's life. One £25 dress equals an average monthly rent or a term and a half's school fees here.

Comments most welcome on this one, especially from any entrepreneurial types. (My only business credential is watching Dragon's Den, but perhaps I should keep that quiet.)

13 comments:

Alexis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexis said...

Sorry! I meant brilliant idea! email me when you get a chance if I can be of any help x x

Rebecca said...

Can we have some trousers too, please?

sarah said...

I'd be well up for buying trousers! My little darling would never wear a dress!!!

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful idea and absolutely the right thing to try and set up!!!
I know,I am currently working for a charitable foundation,translating swiss job summaries to english, so that the boss can try and set up the swiss vocational training system in India. I always think help, as you plan to give and help alike my boss plans it,is the best thing one can do,instead of 'just' sending money which then dissapears in the pockets of corrupt politicians!!
And you'd put any dragon in your pocket:) because you have a heart and not only numbers (e.g profit margins) dancing in front of your eyes!

Impossible Jane said...

There are plenty of websites that will are "shops" so that she could sell her designs. You should look into Etsy or something similar like that. Crafters and artists all over the world sell on that site.

Minks said...

obv. my lads aren't too keen on frocks, but a frockin gift is a frockin good idea x

Helen said...

Count us in for a dress or trousers! Look forward to hearing more about this great idea. What's the postal service like from Uganda? When I was in Sudan it was dire - so worth thinking about if you're going to be shipping stuff regularly world-wide. Good luck! xx

Helen said...

Count us in for a dress or trousers. Look forward to hearing more about this great idea. What's the postal service like from Uganda? When I was in Sudan it was very unreliable, so something to think about if you're going to be regularly shipping worldwide.

Helen said...

Oops - somehow managed to post twice. Sorry about that!

Marie said...

Two thumbs up from here!

clarey b said...

Wow!! I've sent you an email as there's not enough space here... x

DrSpouse said...

I think this is a really nice idea, but as I have said on Belgianwaffle's blog, it would be really nice to use local fabric - you know that the cheap imported fabric is not doing good things for local industry.

I happen to think that batik fabric is lovely, but there are other kinds available locally I know (even if they come from Kenya it would be better than China or India).