Wednesday 5 November 2008

Ugandan dudes: David K


It's not all doom and gloom here in Ganda. There is quite an art scene going on. We went to a private view the other day: sure enough, the credit-crunch denying mist descended upon us, and we decided to buy some original Ugandan art.
Here is the artist we bought from, David Kigozi, with one of our pictures. We think it's gorgeous and worth every penny. He kindly agreed to be interviewed for this blog.
Hello David. Please tell us about yourself.
I am 32 years old. I have a long-term girlfriend. No kids yet. I rear my kids on canvas!
How is it being an artist in Uganda? Can you make a living from it?
More or less. It is 4 years since my last exhibition, although I have had commissions from the Government of Rwanda. I was also involved in making the CHOGM* monument. Otherwise I have been investing in land.
Who buys your work?
Mainly bazungu. Most Ugandans don't see the value in a canvas painting. They think it's just a piece of cloth! But this perception is changing the more people are able to travel.
Were your family supportive of your decision to become an artist?
I was brought up by my mother who was a single parent, the sixth of seven children. She rented out our house to pay for our education. Yes, she supported me. Three of us ended up going into art. My sister is one of my greatest influences.

What would you do if you weren't an artist?
I'd be an architect or an engineer.

What do you think it would take for Uganda to progress?
If it was truly democratic.

* CHOGM stands for Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting. It was held in Kampala a year ago, and the Queen came to visit. It was a HUGE deal here, and people still talk about it.

3 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Love that picture.

Get you, all cultured up! (Not that you weren't cultured before. I was just being facetious.)

littlewarthog said...

I went and saw David's exhibition twice last week, and absolutely loved it. And YOU are the ones who bought THAT piece! It's one of the most wonderful paintings I've seen around these traps for a while. I also liked the chicken and stove one (which was hanging to the left of yours...)
Can't wait to see it hanging in your living room, you arty-farty benefactor you.

Jack'sMom said...

Fantastic. I'm jealous. I miss the african art scene *sniff*. What a gorgous painting. AND in years to come when people admire it you can say, 'Ah yes, we went to a small exhibition when we lived in Uganda... etc' - the best stuff has stories attached I think! :o)