Sunday 16 March 2008

Creaming the fat off the poor

I am in a rage about Big Banks - no need to name names, that would be indelicate. Not long ago the British press were huffing and puffing about the BBs lining their pockets from overdraft fees and the like. But gutting as it is to have to fork out 30 quid every time you get paid late and the direct debits go out, I see some sort of reasoning behind why banks penalise you for spending cash that isn't yours. (I still think £30 is too steep.)

If you think that's being ripped off though, try this for size. At my bank - which, as I said, shall remain nameless, I don't want a reputation as an agitator - they charge you every time you withdraw money over the counter (60p), each time you make a withdrawal if your balance is under £150 (£5) and each time you use the ATM (1p.) I would grind my teeth a bit then forget about it this issue if it weren't for the fact that £5 to a moderately-off Ugandan is two days wages. And you haven't even gone overdrawn, remember: this is still your money.

Not that you'd've heard of them anyway....








2 comments:

Rebecca said...

5 quid? That's a bloody outrage! Why should you have to pay at all if you have money in your account? Have you considered changing your bank? Marie swears by Smile.

Tooting bird said...

we're with Smile already. But they charge £30 every time you make a SWIFT transfer (i.e. from the UK to here) and make you declare each time that you're neither a terrorist or a money launderer..