Saturday 12 September 2009

No really, everything's fine!

Good news: much calmer today. We had a nice drive to the shops and I even went for a walk with Gloria this afternoon. Sadly it doesn't mean a total end to the violence; just that it's migrated to another part of town.


What's annoying is that our electricity is very feeble at the moment. Rumour has it someone sabotaged one of the transformers at the army barracks near here during all the unrest. We have lights, although very dim. (I can't see my keyboard properly. Does that mean I can actually touch type? After all these years? *emotional sob!*) But we can't run the fridge and the inverter won't charge. An inverter is a special widget that sucks electricity from the mains and stores it in batteries for when mains power fails. That is the, er, technical description. But: at least we have the internet! Who cares if the milk is sour!


Baby Kitty has also developed a nasty stomach bug. She has thrown up four times in 24 hours..she doesn't have a fever, but I hope it doesn't develop into anything sinister as we haven't got our new health insurance sorted yet. We have, however, run out of cot sheets as the washing machine is broken and everything has to be hand washed. Not that we could run the washing machine anyway with the power situation.


So yes, I'd say we've got off to a somewhat shaky start to our Ugandan adventure (round two.) But at least the rains have made our garden beautiful. I might even try and grow something in it!

2 comments:

BaronessBlack said...

Ah! Hakuna Sitima! I remember that.
Waves of nostalgia!
Can any of your staff wash the cot sheets for you?
Still, good to hear you're all well.
Hope little one gets better soon.
Your post is making me so nostalgic, I'm going to look up the recipe for sukumowiki!

Unknown said...

Crikey, Lizzie! You don't do anything by halfs do you? All sounds bloomin' scarey to me. Am amazed how you take it all in your stride.
Hope the wee one is feeling better soon.