Monday 23 June 2008

Another tragedy

My friend Monica gave birth to a beautiful baby just before midnight on Tuesday. She sent round a joyful text giving the vital statistics: little girl, 3.75kg, 52cm long. The beep of my phone woke me up. I grunted happily to Rob and poked him with the news. A grunt from him, happy sounding. Then we went back to sleep.

At 7.30am the next morning I replied: "Congratulations! Well done! Girls rock!" Or something. At 8am, or thereabouts, I got another text from another friend. "Hello baby group. I have some very bad news. There were some complications and Monica's baby has died. Please don't send any more messages right now. See you all later this morning." I was numb with shock.

Lots of tears at baby group. We had all been so excited about this new arrival. It was Monica's first baby, and she had been hungry for all the intel about nappies, breastfeeding, sleep, birth, hospitals. We had loved dishing it out. We had spent a very enjoyable morning with a latte and a cinnamon roll, while I gave her my Katherine birth story. The past few days I have been racking my brains, trying to remember what I said. Had I given Monica a false impression of the risks involved?

On Saturday Monica and Dave invited our baby group to a reunion. It was enormously gracious of them given the magnitude of their loss, that they could acknowledge our grief and bewilderment. It turns out little Mazhira (it means 'light' in Hebrew) died of meconium asphyxiation. Dave showed photos, and we passed round a paper with her footprints on. She was a pretty little thing, and she had big feet. They are on their way to Australia as I write this, to bury her in a cemetary just walking distance from their house. I can't imagine the pain they must be in.

Monica and Dave both said they were comforted by the knowledge that others were sharing their grief with them. Please remember them in your prayers.

5 comments:

Anne said...

What a dreadful thing to happen. It must be the worst thing in the world to lose a child: random, cruel, unnecessary. If sympathy from strangers can help, there's lots of it on the internet. I am so very sorry.

Ms Mac said...

I can't tell you how sad I am to read this. I'll be thinking of your friends and your baby group .

Rebecca said...

How absolutely awful. So sorry for your friends.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry about this desperately sad story, Lizzie.

Unknown said...

Dearest Lizzie,

I am so sorry for your friend's (and family) and yourself. A little angel went straight up, but as going up, left a message to her beloved parents, she promised that one day, another angel will come and stay for good, this time.

Hope you and your family are fine,

God bless,

Anusha