Thursday 13 December 2007

Thanks for the cyberlove, everyone! I am feeling much better, thank you, despite getting to the team house kitchen only to discover all the Extremely Chocolatey Biscuit Rounds had been eaten. (I should have known this kind of rare treat would disappear in seconds.) So when I spotted some Chocolate-Dipped Rich Shortbread, I got straight in there. It was naughty not to ask, first, but these were desperate times (and it made a magnificent substitute.)

Ugandaman is back! After a diet of posho - think of solidified, cold porridge - and beans, I prepared him a Welcome Home love basket of broccoli and other greens. It may be the only time in our marriage that I've brought tears to his eyes. Either that or it was the stench - we'd had no water for 2 days, so couldn't shower, flush the loo, anything. It's back on now, phew..

I've been meeting some great people and getting some good ideas about what to do with my time here now that a lot of the domestic drudge will be out of my hands, but I'll save that for another post. Happiness is restored at least, and even the Christmas tree is up. A hot Christmas just isn't the same, though. I had a mince pie this afternoon, but with the sweat pricking and the sun streaming in it just didn't feel right.

1 comment:

Clare in Malawi said...

Ooo, your blog is all in german, not quite sure what to press and i can't read it - sorry!! Also can't get on my email so will reply quickly here if thats ok

Anyway, glad to hear your made it all the way to Africa! Hope you're all settling in ok, looking forward to a sunny Christmas?

Now, I'll have a think about the info i have that might be useful to you. What type of clinic have you got in mind? Ali, the other VSO here with me just went on an IMCI (integrated management of childhood illnesses) workshop and got a book of stuff there, algorithms of what to do etc etc - could be useful. We're also working on lots of other sort of idiots guides to doing this, that and the other - (not that you're an idiot, obviously) but again might be helpful?
Duncan is coming here for Christmas so will have a chat with him too, maybe he could bring things back to Uganda with him and you guys could meet up somewhere?

Hope the girls are ok, when is the new little one due? Love to Rob.

C x