Thursday 11 September 2008

How to get from A to B

Leave Geneva 2.55pm, Egypt Air to Cairo. "May I have a seat belt for the baby please? The plane is about to take off," I ask. A reasonable question. "We don't have one." says Mahmoud, a kind-looking member of the all-male flight crew, looking worried. "Just hold the baby really, really close!" I reel Katherine to my chest and breathe.

There is no telly. No film. Some rather piercing Arabic music on the headset. We have a bag of snacks, 2 children's magazines, a pack of crayons (which I will discover don't work on the shiny magazine paper), a pack of Animal Snap and four hours til we touch down in Cairo. The minutes tick past. God, help me.

7pm Touchdown in boiling hot Cairo. "May we have our pram please? We did ask if we could have it in Cairo," asks Gandaman. "Ya, ya!" says jovial Cairo air official. "Why is your baby sucking her thumb???!!"

9pm. Gandaman meets us in a cafe (Cairo airport - good facilities, FYI) looking thunderous. "We got the pram," he said. "And this." He holds up one of my McLaren Techno Classic's wheels, which has been completely severed. A small argument ensues about whether we should try and claim damages. This time I win, citing age of pram, pre-existing decreptitude, whiney tired children, whiney tired wife and the immenent gate closure of our next connection. The McLaren is abandoned in Cairo Airport, gate 9. A sad moment: Emma was wheeled home from hospital in this (now) knackered pram when she was born.

10pm depart Cairo. More kind staff, one man in particular who wings a seat for me at the front. And a bassinette! I could kiss him.

3.45 am arrive Entebbe, feeling faint and headachy and desperate to lie in a comfy bed. I have spent the last few days wondering if my brain made the journey along with my limbs.

At least some people found it very comfortable:

5 comments:

Mickle in NZ said...

Congrats on survival. E & G look so sweet "top'n'tailed" reminds me of sister and self on overnight train trips to and from Auckland here. Only I (younger sister) was the only one clutching a teddy bear. Dear sis got her first bear aged 24 in London - she'd had a towelling covered elephant b4.

Hope you get a chance to rest up (yes, I do know you are a Mum to 3 under 5) and remember (with joy) your holiday
Huggles and care

Rebecca said...

Oh how I sympathise. 8.30am enter Lisbon airport, 2.30pm +1 (as the tickets put it) exit Pemba airport. Via Heathrow and Jo'burg. 30 hours. It was very nice to get home.

hexe said...

I can only shake my head in amazement at your strength and courage. My flights with just two under five were not nearly as long and I always wanted a drink and a good cry when it was over.

Jack'sMom said...

Hi Lizzie, just about to put a prayer onto the bulletin for you guys and realised you have a blog (duh) - great to read about your adventures in Africa :o) Sharon from St Mark's.

Philip Goodier said...

My daughter is in Uganda at the moment, as a midwife student. Today is Tuesday, it must be Kampala..She is being treated like a queen, apparently, and being blessed at every turn. She loves the country, and although she misses home it is an incredible experience for her. She took a lot of clicky pens and crayons, and sweeties, and the children are so grateful she has taken addresses so she can send more stuff when she comes home. She did have some industrial strength Valium for the flight though...