Tuesday 27 November 2007

You are most welcome to Uganda!

We're here!
We're OK!
And there was no delivery on the plane, although long haul flights with small kids is a bit like childbirth, only a different kind of agony.

First impressions. No idea where to start, though I can report that I am most definitely culture shocked. Here are some things I have taken for granted up til now:
1. Pavements. Not just interesting road decoration, but a useful safety feature.
2. Roads without potholes. Pavements and roads without potholes are essential for McLaren buggy operators.
3. Rules of the road.
4. People who obey the rules of the road most of the time.

As you can imagine, walking around has been rather hairaising. I thought for one brief, idealistic moment that we'd try and manage without a car, but ha, ha! I think I'll take that 4x4 after all sir, with air conditioning and extra security features.

On a happy note, it really is stunningly beautiful here, and Emma and Glory have taken to life here like crocs to Lake Victoria. "Hello Uganda!" said Emma, as the plane landed. They've met lots of other kids, and already abused their toys. Business as usual for them, and a huge relief for me.

Bed time now. More to follow.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

You see? Kids are amazingly adaptable, it will certainly take you longer to feel at home. Glad to hear Kampala has not changed all that much over the last 10 years, broken pavements and potholes are par for the course. But I believe there are now cinemas, you lucky devils. Enjoy!