Wednesday 21 November 2007

The countdown begins

We're leaving on Sunday. This Sunday. No more rain and drizzle for me; just wall-to-wall sunshine and an avocado tree in the garden. So why am I waking up in the night panicking about the availability of nappy liners? It has suddenly dawned on me that this is not a game. Here are those worries in full:

1. How will Emma and Gloria cope with the night flight?
Answer: we will fill them with a tank full of milk and they will sleep.
2. How will I cope with a night flight, given my big belly and proclivity to not sleep well anyway?
Answer: you will not sleep at all, but get over it, there'll be a film to watch.
3. Will I give birth on the plane?
Answer: NO.
4. How will I have a baby in Uganda?
Answer: the same way you had the other two, only at home (probably.)
5. Will my kids get malaria?
Answer: Not if you stick to Kampala and hose them with DEET, just in case.
6. Will I get malaria?
Ditto.
7. Will any of us get an unpleasant tropical disease?
Answer: Maybe. Deal with the possibility.
8. Will there be broadband?
Answer: please, Lord, please.
9. What if Em and Glo hate it and want to come home?
....
10. How will I cope with the lack of conditioner?
Answer: go frizzy. The only way.

And there you have it. I think I can cope with all of the above apart from number 9.

4 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Can a roster of 6-12 generous friends/faithful blog readers organise to between themselves send you a bottle of conditioner once per month?

I'll sign up!

hexe said...

Good luck with the trip and just keep repeating the flight will eventually end!

Sarah said...

Dearest Sister , Great to speak with you yesterday.. we are thinking of you and wishing you all the best.I am sure you will find obscure items. it will be very exciting - Philips blog is www.philipmcgrade@blogspot.com xxxxxx

Rebecca said...

Welcome to Uganda! You landed early this morning, tired from no sleep on the plane and are now hot, because it's the hot season, and sweaty, ditto, and a bit stressed and a bit nervous. You are going to do FINE. More than fine, you're going to love it and so are your girls who will experience more freedom, adventure and mangoes than they can dream of. Malaria is avoidable, the Ugandans are great people and there is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that you can buy any number of brands of conditioner in Kampala. What's more, we are determined to come and visit you as soon as we can.