Friday 13 February 2009

Facebook

I first joined Facebook about two years ago. I dallied around for about six months, then quietly didn't log on again for another year and a half. Back then I decided I didn't like it: I felt I was already in touch with the people I wanted to be in touch with via non-FB means, and every time I did log in to Facebook , it would suck me into The Facebook Vortex of Extreme Timewasting. So I dropped it.

Then funny things started to happen. Friends who I shared a lot of actual face time with, with whose highs and lows I was well-acquainted, would ask me (actually affronted) why I hadn't become their Facebook friend? I thought this was a bit weird, and told them so. Then I would receive emails from people who I no longer had any face time with, but wanted to stay in touch with, with requests to 'check out their Facebook profile'. My resolve not to become a Facebook monkey started to waver.

And so, the day before yesterday, after I had checked out my friends' blogs for the millionth time that day, the children were all asleep, Rob was away, and feeling sick from too much QS, I logged in to Facebook again after my long absence. Sure enough, the Facebook Vortex of Extreme Timewasting sucked me into its inky depths, and it was only 1 hr and 45 mins later that I managed to extract myself.

At first, being on Fb is a bit like being at a huge party of people you haven't seen for years. I spent ages going round each little group, catching up. Indeed this is the beauty of Fb: seeing old friends' kids for the first time, hearing about their various adventures. Initially, it made me very homesick. But sooner or later, I was led astray, and ended up nosing around friends of friends, and people who I didn't dislike, but didn't get on with either, and suddenly I felt like the teenager at the party, wondering if everyone was secretly sniggering at my choice of outfit. Then I noticed a comment on someone's wall that wound me up, and I kept myself awake at night constructing a clever riposte. That's what I mean about the Facebook Vortex of Extreme Timewasting - it's not just about the actual internet time, it's the headspace it occupies afterwards.

So Facebook, is it a good thing? Or a bad thing? I'm still not sure.

6 comments:

Le laquet said...

See, that's why FB is good, the whole of your last paragraph BUT it's also why it sucks too - hours of wasted time ... doesn't stop me logging on though!

Marie said...

You're way behind, Lizzie. Just wait til everyone you know is trying to make you join Twitter.

(I mostly use FB for playing Scrabble.)

rosholland said...

I was the same but tbh the extreme time wasting wears off after a bit (or it did for me!) I do have a look most days... but I've pretty much stopped spending more than a few mins on at a time :o)

It's lovely to be in touch with old friends as you said, to see pics, find out what's been happening in the last 15 years, although it feels kind of weird having 100+ "friends"- and I'm not sure what the etiquette is on maintaining these relationships!!

Pedro said...

Tetris is the reason for Facebook in my opinion.
Pedro x

Rebecca said...

It makes my computer crash. Is there a message there somewhere?

Unknown said...

Scrabble is the reason for Facebook, Lizzie

XX Carey